21 June 2008
Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott), Jacqueline King (Sylvia Noble), Joseph Long (Rocco Calasanto), Noma Dumzwemi (Capt. Magambo), Chipo Chung (Fortune Teller), Marcia Lecky (Mooky Kahari), Suzann McLean (Veena Brady), Natalie Walters (Alice Coltrane), Neil Clench (Man in Pub), Clive Standen (Private Harris), Bhasker Pater (Jival Chowdry), Catherine York (Female Reporter), Ben Righton (Oliver Morgenstern), Loraine Velez (Spanish Maid), Jason Mohammad (Studio News Reader), Sanchia McCormack (Housing Officer), Lawrence Stevenson (Solider #1), Terri-Ann Brumby (Woman in Doorway), Lachele Carl (Trinity Wells), Paul Richard Biggin (Soldier #2).
|Written by||Russell T. Davies|
|Directed by||Graeme Harper|
|Produced by||Julie Garner and Phil Colinson|
What would Donna Noble’s life have been like if she hadn’t met The Doctor? The former temp might regret having her fortune told on the planet Shan She. As her world collapses, Donna finds help from a mysterious blonde woman – a traveller from a parallel universe. But are she and Rose too late to save the universe from the approaching darkness?
- Many key events in the Tenth Doctor’s life are revisited and retold in this story, mainly the invasion of the Rachnoss and Donna’s first encounter with The Doctor (The Runaway Bride), the abduction of the Royal Hope Hospital by the rhino-like Judoon (Smith and Jones), the descent of the alien copy of the Titanic (Voyage of the Damned), the birth of the Adipose (Partners In Crime) and the malfunction of the ATMOS devices (The Sontaran Stratagem / The Poison Sky).
- Rose’s last encounter with The Doctor was in Doomsday, but she has been glimpsed in the episodes Partners In Crime, The Poison Sky and Midnight, as well as being mentioned by The Doctor several times since her departure.
- Donna’s dad is mentioned in this episode, it is implied that he has passed away. In real life Howard Attfield, who played Donna’s father in The Runaway Bride, passed away shortly after beginning filming for Partners In Crime, Bernard Cribbins was brought in as a replacement character, playing Wilfred Mott. Wilf’s first appearance in Voyage of the Damned is mentioned here, although at the time the character was not envisioned as being Donna’s grandfather.
- In the alternate reality many of the Doctor’s companions and allies are killed. Martha Jones (last seen in The Doctor’s Daughter) and Sarah Jane Smith (last seen by The Doctor in School Reunedition but also seen alongside her adopted son Luke and his friends Clive Langer and Maria Jackson in her own spin off series The Sarah Jane Adventures) were killed in the Royal Hope Hospital. On the other hand Captain Jack (last seen by The Doctor in Last of the Time Lords but also seen with Ianto Jones and Gwen Cooper in Torchwood – who both are said to perish in this episode), who is taken away by the Sontarans, presumably because he is now immortal.
- The words ‘Bad Wolf‘ were a recurring theme in the first series, and were finally explained in Bad Wolf / The Parting of the Ways, and has been mentioned several times since.
- The tool The Doctor’s dead body is clutching when it is wheeled by on a stretcher is of course his trusty Sonic Screwdriver, first seen in Fury from the Deep.
- The Guinevere satellites are mentioned – first seen in The Christmas Invasion.
- Whilst billeted in Leeds Sylvia mentions that the bees are disappearing, this was mentioned by Donnain Partners In Crime and several times since.
- The creature on Donna’s back was alluded to by Lucius in The Fires of Pompeii, as is the return of Rose.
- The Cloister Bellis heard at the end of the episode, it was last heard chiming in Time Crash.
- The Doctor claims the beetle on the Donna’s back is part of the “Trickster’s Brigade”, the Tricksterwas a key character in the ‘Sarah Jane Adventures’ story Whatever Happened To Sarah Jane?, which also dealt with the theme of time being changed. The idea of a creature being stuck on someone’s back, and also the fact it is not always plainly visible, is similar to the Metebelis arachnids in Planet of Spiders.
- A circle of mirrors was seen in Kinda, it was used to expose the Mara.
- As is routine for post-2005 Doctor Who, a “NEXT TIME” trailer for the next episode is shown at the end of the episode.